You’ve gone through the hard work of finding a photographer that you love and you’re so excited to have beautiful family photos that show your family connecting and in love. Now comes the tricky work of deciding what to wear for family pictures that will be gracing your walls for years to come.
For our family, I always start by dressing myself. I’m always the hardest to shop for! Once I find something that I feel fabulous in, I know putting together the rest of the family’s wardrobe will be pretty simple! Let’s take a look at some outfits that work and why!
This dress from Amazon is so cute and super affordable!
- Jewel tones are the perfect compliment for fall colors in Fort Collins and Loveland!
- Fitted at the bust and waist with looser sleeves and a flowing skirt, showing off some curves and bringing the attention to your face!
- Long enough to move around in easily, not so long that you lose your legs in photos 😉
This adorable dress from Piper and Scoot is perfect for family photos!
- A defined waist flatters most figures
- Solid color with texture and details for interest
- Loosely fitted, long sleeves
- A flowy skirt for movement and comfort
Another option from Piper and Scoot if you are not into florals!
- Bold, classic plaid pattern adds texture and interest
- Hits just below the knee, keeping it easy to move in and showing a little bit of leg
- Loose fitting sleeves
- Classic neutrals are easy to coordinate for the rest of the family! Add floral for a daughter or stick with stripes and solids for a boy mom.
This wrap style dress from Indie Boutique is a great solid color option!
- Wrap style defines the waist and creates lines that draw the eye to the face
- The ruffle at the neckline and sleeve adds movement and texture
- The slit helps define a woman’s figure
If dresses really aren’t your thing, layered looks add texture!
- Choose a sweater or jacket that gives you shape and hits just below the hip bones.
- Your base layer can be a simple solid or choose a print if you need a little pop!
- Fitted jeans or pants are often the most slimming and a cute ankle boot would top off the look!
- Scarves can add more texture and interest but be careful not to choose something too bulky which will add weight to you!
Now that we have an idea of what looks great, let’s talk a bit about things to avoid! Tunics can work if they have some shape an fit. Skip anything in a shift style. We feel like it camouflages those bits we aren’t thrilled to show off but it often makes us look bigger! If you choose solids, make sure there’s some texture or add layers and accessories for interest. Really the main idea is finding items that fit. Nothing too loose or too tight. Define your figure, it’s perfect just the way it is!
Still need more help with what to wear for family photos? Not a problem! Dear Kate Studios offers an online styling service exclusively for clients <3 When you book your fall family portrait session, I’ll help you with ideas for the whole family! The studio even has wardrobe pieces available for you to borrow! Ready to get planning? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here.
The thing about cliches is that they exist for a reason. Before having kids I heard people say over and over “Time flies” “Children grow so fast” and “Don’t Blink” and while I thought I understood, I didn’t. I’m not sure I fully understand now even how fast time truly moves. My kids are 4, 5.5 and 8 this summer. We’ve had an amazing summer getting into that sweet spot of parenting and I’m seriously loving our life, the freedom and independence the kids and us parents are feeling. But holy cow my kids are totally different from the people they were at the end of the school year. We’ve lost teeth and learned to ride bikes on two wheels. Swim lessons (through the city of Loveland at Winona pool) have given us a chance to breathe when the kids are around water. Mispronounced words are becoming more clear and kids are reading signs as we drive around town. Bodies are stronger and longer and leaner and tanner. Time flies. Children grow so fast. Don’t blink.
Photos have a beautiful way of slowing time down and freezing a moment (again so cliche but so true!). But there are some memories that just aren’t as clear in our minds and fade over time, even with a photograph’s help. Video has a whole other power of preserving the way your children move and laugh and play. I love hearing those little voices and mispronounced words. Seeing the change in a mother and child’s faces as they look at each other. Watching how a child fits in their parent’s arms and how those stretching growing lanky limbs still wrap around Daddy.
I met up with the Bailey family at one of my favorite spots along the Poudre River just north of Fort Collins this summer to play and explore. These sessions are a perfect little time out to focus on family, step back and enjoy the moment, and take notice of all of the changes that have snuck in over the long days of summer. Alexis and Kyla had a blast playing in the water and could hardly wait to get to the river. They were excited and having fun the whole hour we spent together and when it was time to go I don’t think anyone really wanted to leave!
What changes have you seen in your kids this year? What little movements and words to you never want to forget? What is your favorite thing about your kids RIGHT NOW? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below <3
When another photographer contacts you to photograph their family it’s such and honor! The B family was visiting Estes Park this summer and decided it would be fun to take the opportunity to use the gorgeous backdrop of Colorado’s Rocky Mountains for their family photographs! A & T were so enthralled with the location we chose and loved throwing rocks in the lake! We got some great cuddles, tickle fights and of course twirling in A’s fun dress!
I’m so glad we took the time to capture each relationship with in this family as well individual portraits. I love being able to save that love in a photograph to be remembered for years to come. If you want your family remembered with more that “everyone look at the camera and smile” contact me through the button below!
So many people schedule their family photos for the fall. I get it, fall colors, close to Christmas so you are thinking about sending cards and giving gifts etc. But summer family photos totally rock for so many reasons!!
1. Your kids are out of school. No need to worry about who has practice or homework to do. No worries about getting to bed at a certain time. More freedom for scheduling for you and a more care free and relaxed feeling for your family.
2. The weather is perfect!! In summer, as the sun sets, our temperatures start to drop and cool so it’s not too hot. It’s also not too cold and no one will have those red runny noses! We rarely get rainstorms in the summer here either so much less likely to have to reschedule than spring or fall!
3. The scenery is breath taking! Colorado in the summer sun is just stunning! Gorgeous greenery, rolling hills, flowering blooms! The water is warm enough for playing in the river. So much variety exists in just a small area in the summer!
Book your Summer Mini Session and take just 20 minutes and spend some time together as a family playing and laughing in the warm summer sun while I photograph you. Then head to Old Town for pizza on the patio at Beau Jo’s and wander around the fun shops! Or choose a morning slot and then head to the farmer’s market and brunch. It’s a perfect summer day in Fort Collins <3
Your baby’s first birthday is such a huge milestone! Not just for them but for you too! Becoming a parent is such a huge event! Your life is turned upside down and your every moment is spent nurturing this little person and watching them grow. Celebrating those monumental changes is so important! I was so excited to work with Kristin, Brian and baby Abigail to document their family at such a special time! Abigail was so sweet and full of personality and you could just see the love and pride in her parent’s faces!
I loved the big pink balloon they brought to their session and Abigail’s sweet little skirt that showed off those chubby little pre-walker legs! She is a little yoga lover and did a downward dog for us too!
After some traditional portraits, we set her up with her very first cake! She wasn’t so sure about it and didn’t love getting dirty! I love how each baby is different when it comes to cake smash sessions! For Abigail, we ended up hiding some mum mums in the cake to get her to did in haha!
I’d love to document your milestones! Do you have a baby turning one? Send me an email at email@example.com or through the button below and let’s start planning! I offer indoor cake smash sessions too in my Loveland studio!
I met this sweet family of 3 early one morning down near the Poudre river just north of Old Town Fort Collins. For September, it was a really chilly morning! There was a little bit of frost on the ground and the air was super crisp! We had a great time hanging out down by the water and skipping rocks. I love making family sessions fun! We capture these perfect Christmas card pictures but also those sweet candid moments you don’t want to forget!