You’ve gone through the hard work of finding a photographer that you love and you’re so excited to have beautiful family photos that show your family connecting and in love. Now comes the tricky work of deciding what to wear for family pictures that will be gracing your walls for years to come.
For our family, I always start by dressing myself. I’m always the hardest to shop for! Once I find something that I feel fabulous in, I know putting together the rest of the family’s wardrobe will be pretty simple! Let’s take a look at some outfits that work and why!
This dress from Amazon is so cute and super affordable!
- Jewel tones are the perfect compliment for fall colors in Fort Collins and Loveland!
- Fitted at the bust and waist with looser sleeves and a flowing skirt, showing off some curves and bringing the attention to your face!
- Long enough to move around in easily, not so long that you lose your legs in photos 😉
This adorable dress from Piper and Scoot is perfect for family photos!
- A defined waist flatters most figures
- Solid color with texture and details for interest
- Loosely fitted, long sleeves
- A flowy skirt for movement and comfort
Another option from Piper and Scoot if you are not into florals!
- Bold, classic plaid pattern adds texture and interest
- Hits just below the knee, keeping it easy to move in and showing a little bit of leg
- Loose fitting sleeves
- Classic neutrals are easy to coordinate for the rest of the family! Add floral for a daughter or stick with stripes and solids for a boy mom.
This wrap style dress from Indie Boutique is a great solid color option!
- Wrap style defines the waist and creates lines that draw the eye to the face
- The ruffle at the neckline and sleeve adds movement and texture
- The slit helps define a woman’s figure
If dresses really aren’t your thing, layered looks add texture!
- Choose a sweater or jacket that gives you shape and hits just below the hip bones.
- Your base layer can be a simple solid or choose a print if you need a little pop!
- Fitted jeans or pants are often the most slimming and a cute ankle boot would top off the look!
- Scarves can add more texture and interest but be careful not to choose something too bulky which will add weight to you!
Now that we have an idea of what looks great, let’s talk a bit about things to avoid! Tunics can work if they have some shape an fit. Skip anything in a shift style. We feel like it camouflages those bits we aren’t thrilled to show off but it often makes us look bigger! If you choose solids, make sure there’s some texture or add layers and accessories for interest. Really the main idea is finding items that fit. Nothing too loose or too tight. Define your figure, it’s perfect just the way it is!
Still need more help with what to wear for family photos? Not a problem! Dear Kate Studios offers an online styling service exclusively for clients <3 When you book your fall family portrait session, I’ll help you with ideas for the whole family! The studio even has wardrobe pieces available for you to borrow! Ready to get planning? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here.