I just adore this baby girl! My little niece Sadie is the smiliest little 3 month old there ever was! I was so happy she came to visit me in my Loveland photography studio for some updated pictures! Milestone sessions are super quick as babies generally don’t love being in front of the camera for long. We still got a ton of variety though for a quick 20 minute session! These types of sessions are perfect for documenting baby’s first year! I love to see little ones as they reach each milestone. Holding their head during tummy time, sitting independently and then standing!
I’m so happy to be offering more of these milestone sessions in my Loveland studio this year. I’m currently building a wardrobe of ridiculously cute outfits for your baby to wear too, to make your session even more special and stress free! Did your baby recently reach a new milestone you want documented? Contact me below!
Let’s face it, everyone loves having beautiful photographs of their family decorating their walls, gracing friends and family’s mailboxes at the holidays, and of course to use for profile pictures. But for most people, when the time comes to take those photos, they STRESS! Getting everyone dressed and to the location on time without someone spilling food on their outfit or blowing out a diaper raises the blood pressure! Then you get there and feel like your kiddo is at their very worst behavior! Luckily you’ve hired a pro and the images will absolutely be beautiful regardless of the situation! Even still, here are a few tips to make your next family session FUN!
1. Prep the kids. Your photo session should be fun! Let the kids know ahead of time this is going to be a blast! You’ll be hanging out together as a family, cuddling, tickling, chasing and playing games. Get your children excited for this special time you get to spend together. Avoid telling them to use their “real smile” or to behave. Words like that typically make children nervous and clam up. Those aren’t the pictures you’ll cherish! And it’s easy to see on camera when someone is genuinely laughing, smiling and having fun.
2. Prep for parents. Take a look at your photographer’s portfolio. Get a feel for what things you love and want to see in your own session. This also helps give you a feel for what you’ll be doing during your session and helps you relax a little! If you have any concerns, speak up ahead of time and let your photographer know! Before you get out of the car at your session, take a deep breath! You may think your kids are acting crazy but trust the professional you hired to capture your memories. 9 times out of 10 they’ve nailed those in between moments and perfect smiles when you blinked 😉
3. Plan for a reward. Yup, a good old fashioned bribe never hurt anyone! Plus, it will be really fun to go get ice cream as a family and celebrate after your pictures are all done. I would suggest keeping the bribes for after the session though. Red candy drool is a little distracting in photos 😉
4. Plan your outfits ahead of time. Lay out everyone’s outfit ahead of time. Make sure everyone has tried them on and that everyone is comfortable in their clothes! Itchy collars and too tight shoes take the fun away from your session. Moms, let Dad know who is wearing what and put him in charge of dressing the kids. Go take a nice shower and pamper yourself! Or even better, hire a pro for your hair and makeup! My favorite local ladies are Keegan with Steele the Spotlight and Candace with Dotted with Hearts. Need more advice on what to wear for your family pictures? Check out these posts:
And my Pinterest board at https://www.pinterest.com/dearkatestudios/what-to-wear/
You are also always more than welcome to send me ideas you’ve got and I’m happy to help you pull them together!
5. Take a deep breath and just enjoy it! Make sure you get a picture of just you and your spouse while the kids blow off some steam! You probably haven’t had a good picture of just the two of you since your wedding 😉 And that time gives you a moment to connect and enjoy the family you’ve built together!
Ready to book you portraits for this fall? Click below!
When Amy first emailed me about family pictures in the foothills of Fort Collins, I knew we’d hit it off! She shared a little bit about her family and sweet little Graham who just turned one year old! He started walking just before our session. It was so fun to capture that little proud face as he stood and took a couple of steps!! His little bare feet in the sandy path of the hiking trail! Too cute!
Amy and Ryan are fairly new to Colorado and wanted to show off their new home! I think this foothills location fit the bill perfectly!
I was so excited to see this family again! The last time we met, Urban was just a tiny sweet little newborn! It was so fun to see him at almost 2! Time flies and those babies grow so quickly! Urban was full of spunk and gave me some of the funniest little smiles. Totally a little charmer!
We had such a warm and beautiful evening for this session! I love the way the sun sets over the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in this little spot just north of Ft. Collins. That glowing warm light surrounds this sweet family of 3 in the most perfect way!
My sweet little niece Abby turned one this spring. We celebrated with a fun little cake smash and birthday portrait session in my Loveland studio. I absolutely love the timeless simplicity of this session! Neutral colors with bits of muted pastels make me so happy against the backdrop of the gorgeous light in my all white studio. I’m so glad we also got some traditional portraits against the wood backdrop before Abby dug into the cake though! Is she not the most beautiful baby?
Big sister hopped in front of the lens too, not only for a shot of both girls together but for some solo attention. She also got to eat a little cake 😉
Dear Kate Studios also offers outdoor cake smashes in the summer season. You can view an example of an outdoor cake smash session here. Need more info or ready to book? Click the button below!
Baby Bryndle is the first little girl in her family with two older brothers. She is so loved and wanted and her mama is over the moon to dress her in all things girly and to have some more feminity in the house! I love the subtle girly touches in Bryndle’s mostly neutral session! And who says blue is just for boys?
Precious profile and perfect piggies! I absolutely adore macro images in newborn sessions. Those time details change so fast!! Pretty soon those little feet will be taking their first steps!
I love how curly newborns are! Newborn sessions take place before babies reach 2 weeks old so they are still very bendy and very sleepy! These poses mimic how baby was curled up in mamas tummy!
I only take a few newborn sessions a month to accommodate baby’s schedule. Please be sure to contact me before your due date to reserve your session!